Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Flip Flop Favors! - My latest DIY (sort of)

So I posted a few months back about how I wanted to incorporate an idea I had learned about from my amazing wedding coordinator, Amanda of In the Now Weddings at our reception.  Check it out here...flip flops for your guests (probably the girls) to kick off their heels while dancing the night away!  Well, I bought the flip flops back at the end of the summer when they were obviously going on sale.  And I found a wholesale site called Dollar Days where I was able to purchase 72 pairs of flip flops for about $1.25 each.  I didn't get to pick specific colors going this route but  I opted for simplicity and variety so that if the ladies used them and then took them home, they may actually be in colors they would like.   Also got a variety of sizes, too obviously.

Well, here's the photos from my sis, mom and I putting them all together last weekend (please remember as I've said many times before, my sucky camera is not true to actual color all the time):

Flip flops in their packaging:


Wicker laundry basket I found for 40% off at Michael's that we covered in some satin red fabric:



Mom & Sis helping unpackage and retie flip flops with the aqua colored ribbon I bought at the LA Flower Market, 100 yds for $8!  It was cheap but it worked for this simple inexpensive project/favor:



Some of the finished flip flops all tied together:



The flip flops in the basket:






My scrapbooking sister is already working on a cute pair of cut out flip flops as the sign for the front of this basket.  I'll show that to you once we get it finalized.  :)  Thanks to my mom who sewed the fabric onto the basket! 

So, what do you think?  Are you doing any unexpected favors or gifts that are more for your guest's convenience than for a theme or style of your big day?

14 comments:

Nicole-Lynn said...

They turned out great! Love the basket! I won some memo boards for the fridge for our guests so we'll have those as well as cd's as a favor. I was going to do a candy bar but we already have two favors :)

JazzWhispers said...

They turned out super cute! I can't wait to see the sign your sister is making! If we were having a summer wedding I would want to do this!

Kim said...

This is so cute. I'm really on the fence about whether to do this, though I did create a DollarDays account after reading your previous post about flip-flops!

PMerr said...

That's really cool! I've wanted to do this for our guests, but don't know how many I should buy & don't want to spend too much.

Amanda said...

Very cute!! Great idea!

Kristy said...

this looks so cute! what good finds! I am currently in the - i want to make a lot of different favors and ammenities for our guests and think i will have to back it off stage, cd's, sparklers, smores, welcome bags, and on and on - but hey - i'm all about starting with a big net and pairing it down if need be - maybe we need flip flops too!

honey my heart said...

love flip-flops for guests!! they will be so happy to use them on the dance floor. your basket turned out great :)

Chocolate Lover said...

They look great and I'm sure your guests will appreciate them! This is something that I am thinking of doing too if I can find some cute and cheap flip-flops.

Discovery Street said...

I absolutely love the flip flop idea. If i was getting married in a warmer month I totally would have done this...unfortunately flip flops don't really mesh well with my theme and 4 feet of snow on the ground! :)

Sarah said...

Very cute. I really like how you added the aqua ribbon to tie it altogether. For ours, since we're having it in June, in California, we figured it would be nice for the guests to be able to keep cool. So not only will we be having the ceremony in the evening but we'll also be buying little buri fans as the favor. Practical and cute.

Mrs T said...

I think they look fantastic. This wedding of your better end up in a fancy wedding magazine spread - what with all the AWESOME little details you are adding in.

If I was a guest I would love a pair of these.

Sarah M said...

This is such a great idea! I have a friend having a beach wedding next year and this would be perfect. We are planning to do the same sort of thing, but with blankets, for the ceremony on the beach.

buhdoop said...

These are so cool.

Bee @ BP Wedding said...

I love it!! It looks really awesome. Make sure your photographer gets some pictures of the flip flops on some dancing feet at your wedding! :)

wedding tickers