Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wed recap: Why boys are stupid (the cake cutting)

Today's wedding recap comes from a big moment during your wedding day:  the cake cutting. 

All I will say is that the cake has been the one thing I was least excited about throughout the planning process.  This was mostly because Mr Fix It and I debated on the cupcake tower vs. traditional cake decision and I lost out having to go with a normal cake...well, sort of normal.  Because then the cake designs we found and asked our caterer and others to make ended up coming back with outrageous quotes on pricing.  So we reconsidered all our options and in the end we went with just letting a family friend making a cake for us.  It wasn't what I had dreamed of, but it was simple and it was ours and most importantly - it was DEEE-LICIOUS! 

Anyway, as does any good bride and groom, eventually you will have the "Will we or won't we?" discussion on your cake cutting. Mr Fix It and I had talked about whether or not we thought it was a good idea to 'smash' the cake in each other's faces while feeding each other the first bites.  I did not like this idea but before I voiced my opinion, Mr Fix It said he would never do that because you have all your hair and makeup paid for and done up in this gorgeous dress (and tux or suit) so why would you mess all that up for a food fight?  I was totally thrilled and totally on board with this and so we both agreed (on several occasions) that the nice simple placing a fork gently in each other's mouths at the same time was the way to go for us.

But I didn't count on one thing...peer pressure!  I'll let the video speak for me:

Yes, boys are stupid.  We girls have known it all along, but it's little things like this that just confirm our already known opinions.  Boys give in to peer pressure and other boys egg the one boy on.  It's how so many things go wrong in our society.  If it hadn't been for Mr Fix It's brothers and best friends standing there chanting "In the face! In the face!" then we would have stuck to our planned nice cake cutting and feeding.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be.  And so I ended up with red velvet cake under my nicely manicured and long acrylic nails for most of the rest of the night.  So stupid!

However, I got him back...you see, while I was smearing cake all over his gorgeous little face, one of those long nails accidentally scratched him right above the eyebrow.  You can't see it in the video, but a few minutes later, I told him he was bleeding.  I didn't mean to do that, but it's a consequence of your stupid actions so he deserved it.  Besides, it was only a little scratch.  And this was definitely not the only war wound we had on our wedding day (more to come).

To finish, here's the pro pics courtesy of Robert Mullins of the cake cutting and ensuing smearing...

Cutting into the bottom layer of red velvet and cream cheese frosting:

Mr Fix It letting me know he's not going to 'stick to the plan'

Me telling the boys they better watch what they're saying while chanting!

Me pointing at the troublemakers

Threatening that the boys will be the ones getting the cake 'In the face!'

Mr Fix It just before he smashes it up my nose!

Me deciding that I should try for the plate in the face

Since the plate didn't really work...he was able to deflect it...

...I decided to go the easy route and just smear it all over.  It's more effective anyway :)

And of course, we have to kiss and make up :)

'What are you gonna do?'

TODAY'S WEDDING TIP:  Have the "Will we or won't we?" discussion on smashing the cake in each other's face.  And then, have it again...like 5 more times.  And then after you've had it several times, decide what the consequences will be if one of you chooses to break the pact!  :)

17 comments:

Nicole-Lynn said...

Very cute pictures! Can't believe he bought into the peer pressure...boys! :)

Katie said...

Darn him for listening to his friends! I woulda smacked Justin if he would have tried that! However, it does look like you had a good attitude about it in the end...good for you! And um, red velvet cake....making me hungry just thinking about it...

Shannon said...

We agreed beforehand not to do the cake smashing. I don't even know how that tradition started...why would you want to smash cake in the face of the person you just married???

You were a good sport about it and fortunately it doesn't look like it caused too much of a mess which is good.

Mrs. Lopez said...

I love the look you gave the guys! I was very fortunate that my husband feed me nicely and no cake in the face for us!

Kim said...

Awww man! I'm totally getting cake smashed in my face. My fiance is too much of a jokester to resist, even without the peer pressure. I told him if he gets it on my gown, I'm going to kill him in front of everyone.

Chocolate Lover said...

Boys are stupid. But you handled it great and the pics are fab! Fun memories

JazzWhispers said...

I love the pictures you ended up getting of the cake cutting, they are too cute, especially with you giving the guys a nice threat. We're going on the no smushing route, but I'm 99% sure he'll try it, so I'll get him before he gets me. Hahaha

Salt said...

You definitely handled it well. Those pics are hilarious! I especially love the last one of you.

We had the discussion and it was agree that there was to be NO cake smashing. But little did I know that our coordinator had other plans and had us take bites of cake that the other was holding in his/her mouth.

SO gross and the pictures of it are even worse.

Patience said...

We agreed beforehand that we would not be smashing cake in each others face. Plus, I didn't even eat our cake. I hate cake so I pretended to eat it just for the pics. Cute video. I love that you got him back.

Jillreigh said...

Hahaha what a fun story! We will not be smashing cake in each others' faces. At least that's what I say now...

Em said...

Awww I'm sorry it didn't work out quite the way you wanted, but really, it is a funny story and video. Plus, he'll be making up for it for the rest of his life, I'm sure. I love the part where you look back at the boys. I can imagine myself making that same exact face!

Josh and I did the cake smashing thing. We sort of talked about it beforehand, but it honestly didn't matter to me if he did it. We're a pretty silly couple and I think people might have been disappointed if we hadn't put on a bit of a show during the cake cutting. I hope the photogs got some good pics of it!

Mrs T said...

I have never seen the cake smash thing in Oz. Is it an American thing?

I would have been SO unimpressed to get cake in my face any day - but especially my wedding day!

At least you took it with good humor - I love the bit where you are all 'It's on' - he so deserved it! Ha

Your video person did a great job

Miss C said...

Tehehe love the pictures! And the cake looked great!

Amberdawn said...

Boys really are stupid. ;)

Anonymous said...

Your photographer got such GREAT pictures of the cake cutting and all the action afterward!

You may be ticked off at Mr. Fix It right now but a year from now you will look back on this moment and have some great laughs.

LuvBeingMrs.Grimes said...

That last picture is priceless! You two look like you were having such a good time.

Gaynor {Our Day by Design} said...

Fab video & pics of the moment!

The cake smashing is so not done over here in the UK either; we just cut into the cake and that was it; we didnt remove any of it then it was whisked away by the hotel to be cut properly!

wedding tickers