Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful Thursdays # 2 (Traditions)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I would be shocked to find a whole lot of people on the blogs today but just wanted to be sure I keep up with my routine to have a post for every day :)

Anyway, today's Thankful Thursday is obviously perfect since it is in fact, Thanksgiving.  And today, I am simply thankful for family and tradition.

Every single year for as long as I can remember, we have been driving out to my Grandma and Grandpa's house (though Grandpa passed away about 17 years ago) to have our big family turkey dinner.  In the past we've had as many as 35 to 40 people in my Grandma's 2 bedroom home.  But we love it.  All the little kids, my aunts and uncles, cousins...it's so amazing. 

Almost every year I look at my Grandma, who is now almost 95 years old, and think (or say to her) "Grandma, can you believe that all of the people in this house are here because of you?!"  It's amazing to me.  Granted, our family is not perfect, we have our issues and our little tiffs...but when the holidays roll around, everything seems to fade into the background and we all just hang out catching up, watching football, playing with the kids outside and of course EATING!

Now one tradition I can do without is the fact that for the past 10 years probably they have been making us 'cousins' all do the dishes and clean up after.  As much as I hate that part, it is so fun to hang all with all my girl cousins in the kitchen setting up an assembly line of washers, rinsers and dryers.  :)

This year will be a bit smaller as we have about 8 to 10 family members who won't be making it this year...I am really sad about that.  But also just thankful for the ability to have us all come together at this one time of year and enjoy our family tree.  I'll really appreciate it so much this year since next year after I'm a newlywed we will have to start the decision making process of alternating holidays at me and the hubby's family's houses each year.  (tear)

Have a great day everyone and eat well - but plan on exercising those extra calories off!  I made 3 Pumpkin Banana Mousse Tarts yesterday and am hoping they are devoured!  What's the one favorite food you have at Thanksgiving?

5 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I think it’s so wonderful that your family gathers together in such a large group and just takes the time to enjoy being together. What a great tradition.

I also hear you about alternating holidays. We’ll have to start doing that at Christmas next year, too, which is going to be very different for me. So far, I’ve never missed a Christmas with my family, even after moving across the country a few years ago.

Kim said...

Oooh, the alternating holidays thing is going to be hard for us, since both of our families are local in the Bay Area, though about an hour and a half apart. My dream is to have an awesome loft in downtown SF with one of those huge 20-person tables so everyone can come to us. LOL maybe in my next life. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Gracie said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a wonderful and lovely time with your family! x

Caro said...

We had thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago and I just love anything soaking in gravy :P

Mrs T said...

Happy Thanksgiving - wish we had this holiday in Oz.

Have a great time x Your Grandma sounds amazing!

wedding tickers